Municipal Bond Forum

Home > Municipal Bond Forum > Out-of-state income on muni bonds

Out-of-state income on muni bonds


We moved from Florida to California two years ago. We own municipal bonds from Florida, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. I am told we now have to declare $20,000 as income as non-California munis are not tax deductible. We are in our 80s and this will be devastating. Can this be true?

J., California


James A. Klotz responds:

Although we cannot offer tax advice, it is very clear that your out-of- state income is subject to California state taxation.

We are surprised that your broker did not notify you of this fact and convert your bonds to those issued by California entities in the past two years.

If you contact us, one of our bond specialists would be pleased to discuss your options for eliminating this tax in the future.

Jan 3, 2018

Start here.

Do you have specific criteria for bonds you’re looking for? Let us know and we’ll e-mail you bonds that fit your needs. There is no charge for this service.

     The responses provided in this forum are meant to address specific questions posed by investors about their municipal bonds and to provide market insight for our general audience. Please note, your investments, objectives, results and experience may differ significantly. Our answers and any potential strategies discussed should not be construed as a solicitation to buy nor sell any security or investment product. All investing entails risk